Thursday, August 16, 2012

Assorted Pictures and C&C

I have a ton of scanned drawings that don't have any great stories to attach to them in this blog, so I thought today I'd share some illustrations by the kids that have nothing to do with each other. I won't leave it barren of text, however, because I'll mention something I'd prefer my husband to discuss. (He'd do it better.)

Epic Kirby - by PM

Kirby Comic - by PM

Ice Type Magic - by MM

Team Chaotix Comic by MM

New Kirby Types by PM

Super Mario Ch1 Heroes of Light by MM

Pet Scarfy by PM

Petor Puffball by MM

Pixls by MM

Tokyo Mew Mew Parody by MM

Kirby Tale Ch1 by PM

Kirby Traps in Time by PM

Kirby Winter Disaster by PM

Moon Elf & Friend by MM

Kirby in Action by PM

Manga Paper Mario by MM

Pet Slime by MM

Kirby Powers by PM

Maple Story by MM


So, here's my lame-o retelling of the C&C reference. It's no typo, just another cultural reference used by the clever people who write and animate the new Scooby Doo, Mystery Incorporated cartoon. My family loves Mystery Incorporated. My husband will go on at length about how he dislikes the Shaggy-Velma romance that occurred in the first season, this is a well-made show that parodies many 2012 pop culture icons in addition to throwbacks to the 1960s and 1970s.

We just watched an episode (called Web of the Dreamweaver) that featured Dungeons and Dragons prominently. - the game was C&C, Crypts and Creatures. Sherriff Bronson Stone, impeccably voice-acted by the magnificent Patrick Warburton, played this RPG with his friends and the Nightmare on Elm Street like monster that he unintentionally unleashes curses all the players from his game. I won't spoil the ending for you by revealing who is behind the chaos, but at one point, Shaggy admits that he, too, used to be a C&C geek. Shaggy says he stopped playing when he thought his teacher was a monster from the game. Neither my husband nor the many players he's gamed with have ever lost themselves in the fantasy realm to the detriment of their sanity, but it was amusing to see all the funny stereotypes about socially awkward teens in a basement getting carried away. (Hubby, please blog on this! As a gamer, were you touched by the attention - "magic missile, magic missile!!" - or disappointed by the portrayal? I know you liked the second Diary of a Wimpy Kid and its D&D RPG moment. Tell, tell!)

No comments:

Post a Comment