Sunday, February 10, 2013

Winter Holiday Fun-Fest

As I was updating the family blog - the private one for the grandparents and aunts living far away - I stumbled across some photos of games we played but I didn't share. Here's a quick recap of the fun we had playing some old and new board games over the Christmas break.

December 27, 2012 - Forbidden Island

 This cooperative game can get pretty tense! We got very close to achieving our goal but the cards conspired against us. Usually I don't put photos of children on the blog, but the girl's face says it all.








December 27, 2012 - Blokus

Do you really need to see another Blokus photo? Probably not, but I'm super-proud about the results of this game. Yes, it's true that I won this match, but the super-cool reason for this photo is that I nearly used all my pieces! I just had the four-square square left. Since I've only ever used all my pieces once in all the times I've been playing, having just one remaining is a big deal for me.



December 29, 2012 - Lords of Waterdeep

This is one of DM's games, based on Dungeons and Dragons - specifically, the Forgotten Realms setting. I don't think I've written about this game on this blog before. I really like it, and so does hubby, despite the fact that it has many Euro-game elements, like resource acquisition. The great thing is that it also has lots of player interaction. At the start of the game, every player chooses a colour for their two agents (which turns to three agents in the fifth of eight rounds) and a secret Lord that they follow and that influences the best type of quests to take. Players take turns placing their agents on different spaces which can earn money, minions (I call them by the colour of the squares but they have identities like fighters, thieves, priests and wizards), quests or intrigue cards. You accumulate victory points based on quests you complete and actions you take.

This is a view of my cards and equipment. The square things with round holes are coins. I have four orange men (fighters) and two black men (rogues) at my disposal, and you can see a few of my quests that I was trying to complete. In this particular game, my daughter was the winner. (The scoreboard is the grey box border - you can see the green and red counters in the upper right corner.)

No comments:

Post a Comment